Saturday, January 25, 2014

Saturday Lunch

After the very heated discussion I became our household regular Saturday lunch cook. This means I was chosen to make lunch for five people every Saturday. And when I say lunch I mean I have to make at least a soup, a main dish, a salad and preferably a desert (a low calorie one that is).
I like to cook and I decided to do my best. Today the household wanted to eat Tortillas. So I made them. I didn't use any specific recipe or anything like that. I simply made a non spicy chicken and vegetable tortilla filling. I needed about an hour, hour and a half to get everything done.
For this Tortilla a la Lucy you'll need (this is for about 6 grown-ups with a healthy appetite):
-500g of chicken (chicken breasts or fillet or something familiar that doesn't have bones still on, because cutting the meat off the bones just makes extra unnecessary work. We don't want that, do we?)
-4 small cucumbers
-2 red peppers
-1 onion
-oil
-1 leek
-130g of frozen mix of peas & corn (you can add corn and peas individually you don't have to buy the same thing I did. Just make sure you add about 60g of corn and about 70g of peas)
-125g of brown beans
- 0.20 L of tomato sauce
-salt and pepper
-if you want to make your Tortillas spicy just add some chilly at the end
What to do?
First put some oil on a pan an quickly cook chicken so it turns this white colour (once the pan is heated it takes about a minute on each side for this to happen) and then put it into a preheated own on 200°C for 17 min. This way the meat won't lose its juice and become dry and non-tasty. While you wait wash the peppers and cut them into small squares (or something similar, no one really cares if it's a square or a triangle as long as it looks and is eatable). Then cut the leek about 5 thick. Peal the cucumbers and cut them into squares about the size of your thumb (same as red peppers). Cut onion into small pieces and put it on a big pan or wok with a heated oil (I put 2 spoons of oil, it's up to you how greasy you want  your tortillas to be, but I think that 2 spoons is the smallest amount you can use without burning everything). When the onion looks glassy add the cut vegetables and cook the  for 7-10 minutes. Add beans, peas and corn and cook for 3 minutes before adding the chicken cut into  squares the same size as red peppers and cucumbers. Add salt pepper and tomato sauce and cook on small fire for additional 5-10 minutes. At this point you can also add chilli if you want the tortillas to be spicy.


Serve with warm tortillas and cheese in fajitas manner or you can you can make tortilla and put some  cheese on it and put into microwave for 30 seconds and serve them with white salsa (I bought mine in a store).
Bon appetite and enjoy the rest of the weekend,
Lucy Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment