Friday, October 18, 2013

Stephen Chbosky: The Perks of Being a Wallflower

I'm a bookworm :) I read at least two books a week, usually about 300 - 400 pages long. A lot of my friends think I'm super weird because I read so much. But don't you just love it when the beutifly written worlds suck you into a totally new fantasy world, where anything and everything is possible. To me those hours that I spend reading are precious and I always take time to read a new book.


A while ago I read this great sweet and sour story that everyone is talking about. It's not The Fault in Our Stars, but The Perks of Being a Wallflower from Stephen Chbosky. I must say that I first heard of the book  because of the movie, but I did read the book first. Because in my experience, most of the movies that are made after the book, are missing something. And I must say, that even though the movie is great, and I loved it, I wasn't as moved by the message of the movie as I was by the message from the book.
The book is written as a series of letters from 15 years old Charlie to a "friend". He's socially awkward and doesn't have any friends. The story takes place during his freshman year, when he decides to make new friends. During a football match he meets two a little bit eccentric seniors, Samantha and Patrick. They accept him for who he is and introduce him to their group of friends. During the story we also find out that that Charlie suffers from depression and sometimes has "black outs". The reason is explained at the and of the book, and I won't share it with you because I want you to read it.



The book is written in a beautiful English and is really easy to read even for non native speakers. I read both the original and the translated version, and I preferred the original.  But the truth is that I usually do, because there isn't two languages in the world that have the same amount of words. Basically I think some of the magic that story has is in the way of writing and this gets lost in translation very quickly.

Well I loved this book and I hope you'll read it and love it too!
xxx Lucy Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment