Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Movie of the Month December: Ghosts of the Girlfriends Past

The third day of my December resolutions, and I already broke one. Yesterday, I didn't post anything on my blog. I do have an excuse though. I had a stomach bug and became inseparable with my lovely toilet. Disgusting I know, but this is my excuse and a damn good one, if I may add.
But back to the topic. I want to do a new best-of-the-month series, this one called Movie of the Month. I know I missed it for November, but I think you didn't need to hear it from me too (well you're gonna hear it anyway). The title for November was fair and square won by The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. The movie is amazing, story is amazing, and the cast is amazing. I loved Jennifer Lawrence in it and I can't wait to see her next movie that comes out right about now: American Hustle. I saw the trailer and I'm really looking forward to seeing it.
 

So I told what I (and another half of the world) think about what was movie of the month November. But what about December? I was thinking something Christmassy or maybe at least something with a lot of snow. I couldn't decide, so I made a short list and watch all three movies again. Well I saw Frozen for the first time, and other two for like twentieth, but who's counting? The other two being Just Friends (with Ryan Reynolds, the gorgeous husband of Blake Lively) and Ghosts of the Girlfriends Past (with Matthew McConaughey). It was tough, especially after seeing the pretty new Disney tale about two sisters that love each other so much that are willing to do everything for the sake of other's well-being.
But seeing Matthew McConaughey shirtless resolved all the issues I had before and Ghosts of the Girlfriends Past has won in my book.

The story is not hard to tell. If you think hard enough, the title will remind you of another one you probably heard before. Well, the title isn't exactly the same, but I'm sure you all heard of Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol. No? Then you should go back to school! Just kidding. The stories have the same concept. A guy (Scrooge in A Christmas Carol and Connor in Ghosts of the Girlfriends Past) did some horrible things in the past (Scrooge was super greedy and didn't want to share his wealth, Connor had a lot of girlfriends and hurt the one he truly loves) and the higher power that controls life (in a story) decided that it's time to give them one last chance before they destroy any hope of bright future they might have. So during the night three ghosts visit them, a ghost of their past, present and future. As always in romantic comedies, everything turns out just fine (and exactly the opposite of what the ghosts predict).
The thing I liked the most about the movie (besides Matthew McConaughey and the fact that there's a wedding and snow) is that Emma Stone is in it. She plays this crazy ghost of the past. She is super cute with curly hair and scrunches and all the eighties clothes she's wearing. And the fact that she behaves like she has enough energy to jump up and down for eternity. And the fact that she uses a bed as a car. I laughed so hard my stomach hurt afterwards. She was just so funny in this movie! I loved it!

The verdict:

So Ghosts of the Girlfriends Past is a romantic comedy you want to watch when you're cold and tiered and fell like, I need some time for myself. Or at least that is what I do, because I always forget about my problems when I'm watching a hot guy chasing a girl of his dreams (or in this case, half of the movie pushing her away and chasing other girls). And not to forget, there's enough shirtless Matthew McConaughey and some hot girls in lingerie for both you and your boyfriend (if you have one, which I don't. Just saying. Not complaining). And there's a car chase that is at the same time romantic and full of adrenalin. Really it's a win-win movie. And you can watch it every Christmas and it never gets old. 

No comments:

Post a Comment