Thursday, July 24, 2014

Book of the Month (TBT - June): JANE EYRE

Of all the books I have ever read (and I have read a lot of them) there is one I like more than others. It's a book that got me trough some though times. The book I'm talking about is labeled as a "classic". I'm a female, so you're probably thinking: "It's Jane Austen. It's always Jane Austen." Well, you'd be wrong. It's still a female author and with familiar topics of writing. And the title also has a Jane in it.
Yey, if you're thinking that the book I'm talking about is Jane Eyre, congratulations are in the order - you were thinking right.SONY DSC
Jane Eyre made my day when I was going through a tough time when I was about eleven or twelve. All of the sudden I felt like I was missing out on life. Everyone knew everything that was going on. I felt lost, and this might sound cliche, but I got a feeling everyone around me knew what they were doing except for me. I had no idea what to do. I've read a lot of books before, but when you're twelve, all of the sudden you realize that books on children and young adults section aren't as interesting as they once were.
I discovered Jane Eyre by accident. I was looking at the books in the library and there was this lovely blue book in soft print. I thought, "Hey, this book looks good and I heard it's supposed to be great." What was the turning point was the fact it was in soft print. All those years ago, it was rare for a book to be in a soft print. And I always choose the longest books. I believe I already had ten other books, so one in soft print wouldn't do much of the difference in the weight I had to carry home (it's a twenty minute walk from the library to my home).
tumblr_lqm20b2Tve1qeco8xo1_500
I took my time before reading it. But when I did, I feel right into it. I left the 21st century and traveled back in time on this amazing journey with an orphan from Longwood. Jane Eyre was brave, though and intelligent. She was all I wanted to be and at the time, this book gave me courage to be who I am. To be brave enough to fight for what I want (and it wasn't to party) and stand behind what I believe in. Because no matter what, I had it better that Jane, I had (and still have) a family that loves me, stand by me and supports me. And for a teenager, full of hormones and all about pushing its rights, it was a revelation of the century.
There are a lot of books out there that are labeled as "classics". To me, most of them are boring. Maybe it's because I'm a child of modern age, were everything needs to be filled with suspense and action. Things should always move, stories should always have something going on. Or maybe I just don't understand what all the fuss is about. I don't care if the book is labeled classic or a fan fiction or a biography. As long as it has an interesting story plot to follow and it's well written I'm all for it.
download

No comments:

Post a Comment